My daughter informed me the other day that she wants to go to the public school next year. I think she was afraid we were gonna freak out on her or something cause she waited until hubby went off to work. No freaking out! At the end of ever year we give them the option of home school or public school ... they always seem to know that they will learn more at home in less hours then they will at the public schools.
This year ... we'll have to compromise though. After daughter came out saying she wanted to go then son came out saying the same. He's since changed his mind but daughter is still holding firm. We told her we will have to go to the school to see what their learning ... if it isn't up to par with what she will be learning at home then I'm sorry ... she won't be going. I want a better education for her then what the public school systems have to offer and IMO I believe sending either on to school for a less stimulating education is child abuse. Of course, this is just my opinion.
Anyway, I get the feeling that it has more to do with them wanting more friends then what they currently have. I admit it, I've been slacking in the socialization part of home schooling. We used to go tot he youth service center for somputer/PE class but I took them out of it this year after they complained of having no real kids their age last year. Daughter was taking lessons with a buddy but her buddy dropped out ... then their girl scouts ... I let her drop out when she completed brownies but I knew this was her way of getting her friend interaction. Dumb on my part. So I'm rectifying the situation ... I'm looking into a home school group. We have a cover school but it's located all the way in Birmingham so we don't go on field trips or anything like that cause it's a 3 hour drive. I'm also getting them back into the church activities so they will be around kids like them & girl scouts is back on the table. That is if I can ever get someone to contact me. I've contacted 3 different people for information on how to get her back into the program & NO ONE has contacted me yet. I sent the e-mails out on Monday. Doesn't anyone check their e-mails anymore?
Ok, so I vented enough this morning. I'm gonna have to get with the school to see what their curricula is so I know what I'm doing next year with daughter. Son told me this morning that no matter what daughter does ... he's NOT going to the public school unless I have to take a job & he has no choice. If you are in my area & know of any good support groups ... I'm willing to look into it. We need kid interaction.